As a sophisticated, modern economy, Australia offers overseas investors diverse business opportunities across a broad range of world-class industry sectors. Avenues for investment range from traditional industries – such as agribusiness and mining, where Australia’s competitive advantages are well established – to fast-evolving technology and service sectors.
- Australia Fact Sheet By DFAT (PDF English)
- Doing business in Australia (Tips for Israeli Businesspeople) – (PDF Hebrew)
- Australian Economic Overview Report by Austrade (PDF English)
Agriculture Industry Overview 2017
Agriculture Portal – lists a variety of sites covering Federal and State departments, agricultural research, education and a products guide.
Meat & Livestock Australia – contains information regarding the meat and livestock industry in Australia.
Agtech in Australia – a report commissioned by StartupAUS in collaboration with KPMG, CBA and the Queensland Government. It provides a broad overview of the Australian agtech ecosystem.
Renewables and Cleantech Industry Overview 2017
Water Industry Overview 2017
Abundant and diverse renewable energy resources, supported by world-class research and well-regulated energy markets, make Australia an attractive destination for international investment in clean energy.
- The large Australian landmass is particularly suitable for clean energy infrastructure
- 90 per cent of Australia absorbs over 1,950 KWh of sunlight per metre per year
- Australia has very significant non-volcanic geothermal resources with temperatures of around 280ºC at up to 5km underground
- Strong westerly winds, up to 10 metres per second, buffet southern Australia
- Australia’s wave energy capacity is estimated to be 170,000 MW
- Australia has expertise to assess the technology and economic feasibility of developing large scale biomass resources to support future bio-commodities industries, such as alternative transport fuels
- Australia has world-class R&D expertise, and advanced science and technology for biological, chemical and mechanical testing.
Australia is also a world leader in water reform and water management, generating new technologies with commercial applications in both domestic and export markets.
Australian Water Association – The representative body for Australian water interests
Climate Change and Energy Efficiency
Waste Management and Environment Business Magazine – Information and events in the Environmental Industry
Permaculture International Ltd – A system of applied design for the creation of a sustainable human habitat
Australian Cooperative Research Centre for Renewable Energy – seeks to create an internationally competitive renewable energy industry. ACRE brings together excellent research capabilities and market knowledge into a world class centre for innovation and for the commercialisation of renewable energy systems
Cooperative Research Centre for Water Quality and Treatment
Cyber Security Industry Overview 2017
IT & Telecommunications
Telecommunications Industry Overview 2017
Australia is globally renowned for its capabilities in many areas of ICT including telecommunications, IT services, and digital content, while the country’s highly regarded research community has contributed to many significant scientific discoveries and commercial developments, including:
- The 802.11 technology behind Wi-Fi
- ‘Gi-Fi’ – Giga-bit wireless (known as ‘radar on a chip’)
- Open Kernel Labs – software embedded in over a billion phones worldwide
- EFTPOS (Electronic Funds Transfer Point of Sale)
- The Ultrasound Scanner, and
- Google Maps.
Australia’s digital content industry is of particular note. It encompasses high value digital products and services which are being developed not only in the ICT sector, but across films, games, broadband, mobile, and broadcasting. The impact of the digital content industry extends across the economy and will be one of the major drivers of economic competitiveness in the coming decade. Australia is a mature and technologically sophisticated market with high internet, PC and smart mobile device penetration rates.
Australia is also ideally positioned for the future with the growth of cloud computing: in February 2012, the Business Software Alliance (BSA) ranked Australia second in the world in preparedness for cloud computing.
Australian Department of I.T and Communications – Official Australian Government website
The Australian Information Industry Association This Site provides information about the policies and activities of the AIIA
Australian Telecommunications Users Group (ATUG) – provides updated news about the Telecommunications Industry in Australia, and also links to the Now 99 Conference and Exhibitions, held annually.
Paul Budde Industry Reports – A collection of incisive market reports from one of Australia’s foremost analysists. Brief summaries are available, full reports incur a fee.
The Australian IT Online – The online version of the IT section of The Australian Newspaper.
Australia.internet.com – News and information on Australian internet
IT News – The latest local and international IT & T news, updated twice daily.
ZDNet Australia Software – Home to many of Australia’s top computer publications and daily IT updates
Australian Information Industry Association – the national organisation representing the information technology and telecommunications (IT&T) industry of Australia.
Mining and Resources
Australia’s abundant mineral resources, sophisticated mining equipment, technology and services industry, and proximity to the rapidly growing Asian markets, have made it a world leading mining nation with an investment pipeline of $430 billion.
In 2011, Australia’s energy and mineral commodity export rose to a record A$190 billion, a 15 per cent increase on the previous year signifying continued strong demand for minerals and commodities from China and other parts of Asia.
The scale of Australia’s mining and resources industry has enabled it to develop a sophisticated mining equipment, technology and services sector. Australia is highly competitive right across the spectrum, including in the development of mining software and equipment; scientific analysis; exploration assessment technology; mineral processing technology; environmental services; and health and safety services and equipment.
The Australian mining exploration and support services (including equipment, technology and services) sector contributed approximately A$9.1 billion to the economy in 2010-2011. The industry invests significantly in R&D, and this has been crucial to developing Australia’s competitive edge in this field.
Australia Natural resources Industry (PDF Hebrew)
Opportunities for Israeli water technology companies in the Australian mining sector (PDF – Hebrew)
Health and Medtech Industry Overview 2017
Excellent research facilities, world-class scientists and a strong but flexible regulatory regime have made Australia a powerhouse of biotechnology and pharmaceutical innovation.
Australia is noted for a number of significant contributions in the biotechnology field, including the discovery of the curative effects of penicillin, the development of the cochlear implant, synthetic Omega 3 fatty acids, and the world’s first cervical cancer vaccine.
The industry also has a strong drug development pipeline, with around 6,100 clinical trials registered in Australia between July 2005 and January 2012.
Health Communication Network – Comprehensive selection of links to Australian health sites
Australian Health Outcomes – Articles promoting the exchange of information and views about the measurement and monitoring of health outcomes and related research.
The Australian Security Industry Association – National body for the Security industry. Includes directory of members.
Security Providers Association of Australia – The Security Providers Association of Australia Limited (SPAAL) is a leading national Approved Security Industry Association for security licensing purposes.
Venture Capital and R&D
Australian Venture Capital Association – National association which represents the venture capital industry’s participants, promotes the industry and encourages investment in growing Australian companies.
Victorian Government VISTEC – Victorian Government initiatives to promote innovation and investment in R&D.
Articles by the Israeli Trade Commission
- Australia mining industry review (PDF Hebrew)
- R&D and IP commercialization for the Mining, Oil and Gas industries (PDF Hebrew)
- Australia Jewellery Market (PDF – Hebrew)
- Opportunities for Israeli water technology companies in the Australian mining sector (PDF – Hebrew)
- Australia Carbon Pollution Reduction Policy (PDF – Hebrew)
- The new National Health and Hospitals Network- NHHN- ( PDF Hebrew)
- Australia and China – an Iron Connection (PDF Hebrew)
- Export of Education Services from Australia (PDF Hebrew)
- Australia water review (PDF- Hebrew) from AGROMASHOV
- Australia Natural resources Industry (PDF Hebrew)
- Australian Medical Devices Market (PDF Hebrew)
- Australian Trade Policy (PDF English)